Saturday, February 6, 2010

High on Life

I went through my clothes and got rid of a lot of stuff. This entire endeavor was almost negated by the fact that Jamal had given me two boxes of clothes. But either way I made at least a small amount of headway, and nobody can take that away from me, darn it!

The main event for this Saturday was Victor's After-Birthday party. I headed over at around 5:30 to help him set up. Justin was already there, and he and I headed out to get Birthday Pie, drinks, snacks, and pizza. The pie was from Polly's, and one was Strawberry and Banana Cream, and the other was Custard. We also picked up a Dutch Apple Pie from the Freazy, where all the other snacks and food items came from. Little Caesar's was the source of the pizza. After this, we were pretty much set.

Vic's place is interesting. Over the past year(s), it has changed considerably, mostly due to Joe, Victor's brother. I could bore you with the descriptions of the rooms and house, how each room has its own primary color, and how more windows have been added, etc. or I could tell you about the Karaoke Machine.

Karaoke wins again!

The machine is a subtle design. It fits right into your entertainment center without sticking out at all. You have a remote and two microphones, and a book of music (with a an extra copy). it has an English, Filipino, Chinese, and I believe Japanese selections of songs. Each selection is pretty impressive, but since I only speak English, I never really became acquainted with the other sections.

Quick List of Songs I Sang: That Thing You Do by The Wonders, Island In The Sun by Weezer, Ebony and Ivory by Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder, Brick by Ben Folds Five, Take On Me by A-Ha, Always by Blink-182, The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel, I Want You Back by the Jackson 5, Bizarre Love Triangle by Frente cover, Imagine by John Lennon, The Man Who Sold the World by Nirvana cover, Sailor Moon theme (sang along to it), Big Me by Foo Fighters, etc.

The night was filled with music, pizza, and friends. Some people came by that I didn't know very well, but that was fine. It gave me a chance to sing with, and sometimes TO, them. And one of the best ways to get to know someone is to sing karaoke with them. I felt a little drunk, and I hadn't even had a sip of alcohol. Now THAT'S a good party when I feel like that. High on life, baby!

Topics of Conversation @ Victor's: Failed taquitos, Riot cola, Pulp fiction art (the books, not the movie), creating a wiki page of Bullshit & Lies, Fu-Kang Comin' Atchya!, Mariah Carey songs, Justin and Patricks's creepily spot-on singing of Backstreet Boys' "I Want It That Way," Back To The Naked Gun, Ken Cho's Trophy Room, why two white people can't sing "Ebony & Ivory," Karaoke Challenges, how placing two hands on some one's shoulders can be creepy, etc.

But my favorite part of the night was finding out about "The RZA is The Man With Iron Fists." I won't say who, just in case people can get in trouble. The internet may be in involved. Anyways, this is a movie script that is sheer wacky. Apparently, the RZA (of the Wu-Tang Clan), has a movie in the works. But this isn't just any movie, its a Kung-Fu exploitation flick. RZA plays "The Blacksmith," a man that makes weapons. These weapons are so good, that rival gangs "The Lion Clan" and "The Hyena Clan" each want him to work specifically for them, and not the other.

Stuff happens, but eventually The Blacksmith ends up with his hands cut off. Yeah, you can see where the title is going to come into play. But the absolute best part of this movie is that The Blacksmith works/lives in a strip joint. In what capacity isn't clear, but he has a forge in the back where he can make weapons. Your standard set up, right? The best thing that I heard about this movie is this description of a scene at the strip joint:

"As the hoes were getting hosed down for the day..."

Like they were horses or something! WTF. And its almost a side note. Just whatever. A bunch of women being sprayed with water. Apparently the "hoes" in question even giggle because its fun. Nothing sexist here, don't mind us. This script is insane. So naturally, I need to get a copy so I can read it for myself.

-Nate

No comments: