Sunday, January 3, 2010

All Growed Up

Random song: "Where Is My Mind?" by the Pixies.

Quote of the Day: "The only way to have a friend is to be one." -Emerson

[Well, well, looky here! I found me a fancy, dandy quotation book! From 1955, no less! I'm gonna use it to purty up my blog/journal. It feels good to be pretentious.]

Woke up around 10:30 am. I realized that I would be late for the orientation at the place that was trying to scam me for money. A contented smile stretched across my face and I felt deeply accomplished, knowing that ARN was never going to see my bearded face again.

That felt like a good start to the day.

My dad made burgers for lunch, which were really good. But for some reason, he really wanted to know what I thought about them, going so far as to ask me to break it down taste wise and to compare to other burger chains. It was very odd, but I went along with it.

"Okay... well, the burger is really good, just to start," I said, staring off into thought, "the bun is soft and has a good flavor to it, but isn't as thick as I prefer hamburger buns to be..." and I'll stop that right there cuz I'm already boring myself asleep. I then moved on to chains, and how I ranked them:

5. In-N-Out
4. Knowlwood's
3. Fuddrucker
2. A burger that my dad made once, almost by accident.
1. Tom's Farms

I got stuck on #1, realizing that I couldn't remember the name for the life of me. My mom actually sad it by accident. Now, this is not to be mistaken by the produce store that's nearby. The Tom's Farms I'm referring to is this place off the freeway somewhere all by itself. It was like some silly little trading outpost converted into a chic little tourist trap. But the food was astonishingly delicious, and the last time I went was when I was 14(?).

Really, the #1 of anybody's favorite food/stuff/activity is often the one version that they can't get anymore. And I'm not even talking about the store or restaurant or whatever being closed. Its more like the taste of the first experience. The first realization that something can be really amazing. That's what #1 usually is, and there's nothing wrong with that. And its hard to be as happy as you were when you were a kid.

After that we watched Mr. & Mrs. Smith on Blu-Ray. I really like that movie, and I always seem to forget how funny Brad Pitt is as a comedic actor.

I then went on some errands till about 5:00 pm, at which point I was already late getting over to Nan and Myles' house, where I had already made plans with them for dinner and hanging out. Their house is an awesome place out in Fullerton, barely 15 minutes away from where I live, and going there reminds me of how grown-ups do things. They have good-paying jobs, a home, a happy marriage, two dogs (Brock and Scout), and a baby on the way. I'm 26, and I'm just starting to look at apartments to be a roommate at, let alone settle down and give the domestic life a decent shot. Man-child, table for one, please.

We watched the second Family Guy Star Wars special "Something, Something, Dark Side." It had some decent laughs, but the second Robot Chicken special is way funnier, AGAIN. One day, Seth Green and Seth McFarlane are going to have a showdown for the right to be the only Seth in showbiz. (Are there other Seths? I'm not sure...)

Myles made some damn good Lasagna that I would have ate to the point that they would have lost respect for me. We then played SAN JUAN, which is a pretty fun card game, but it takes some time to get the hang of, and when I do I shall crush all that stand in my way!

I headed home around 9:00, since I didn't want to keep them up any later since they had jobs that were worth losing. And now I am writing down this journal...

...okay, this is it. Right here. This is the moment that I always hated whenever I tried in the past to write a journal down. The self-disgust. It kicks in hard, especially at the end of an entry. Cuz, really, nothing big happend today. Really. Read this entry again if you disgree, cuz you'll change your mind fast. I much more prefer the first entry over this one. Way more excitement. Way more intrigue. Way more INTERESTING.

But I guess that goes for any show or season, right? Some episodes are just going to be better than others. I'll just have to accept that. I'm already anticipating the one sentence entry down the line. It can't be avoided. Some days are just wasted. But I can at least say today was not wasted, just uneventful.

-Nate

NATE NOTE: New music I'm listening to right now is a band called "Vaudeville" and "The Discovery of A World Inside the Moone" by The Apples In Stereo. So far so good.

No comments: