Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fanboy Joy

I didn't mention beforehand, but I've been unable to go to the shop, thanks to a combination of work and lack of money reserves. I had to play it careful till Friday. So cheap eats and chill peeps, buckaroos! But the lack of comic book stimulation was starting to get to me.

I would like to take this opportunity to let you know what the heck I'm reading these days.

List of Nate's Comic Book Faves - 2010!:

Invincible

The Walking Dead

Green Lantern

Green Lantern Corps

Secret Six

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Season 8)

Guardians of the Galaxy

Blackest Night

Demo (Vol. 2)

Criminal

House of Mystery


-Invincible is great because it takes all the cliches of superhero books and puts a fresh spin on it. And the action is awesome.
-The Walking Dead is like a continuous zombie movie, showing you what its like to live/survive in a world overrun by the dead. And sometimes, the worst enemy is the live ones.
-Green Lantern took a turn that works incredibly well for me. But it doesn't always work for everyone else, which is fine. But the action and scope is massive.
-Green Lantern Corps has my favorite of the four human Green Lantern characters: Kyle Rayner. And they paired him up with a spot on Guy Gardner. Its like a Superhero/Cosmic Buddy Cop movie.
-Secret Six just has great down-and-dirty fights and dialogue and situations. Characters that shouldn't work together at all end up interacting in very interesting ways.
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer is referred to as "Season 8" because Joss Whedon, the creator, is fully involved with this comic, having written issues himself, and then delegating to former series writers and huge comic talent. This is THE comic book for Buffy fans.
-Guardians of the Galaxy was not a book that I thought that I would like. But its pace, action, and dialogue continually win me over.
-Blackest Night is the only comic event that I'm reading.
-Demo (Vol. 2) is the second coming of one of my favorite "indy" duos. Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan tell some of the best stories this side of comicdom.
-Criminal is crime noir at its absolute best. You need to read this comic with a glass of whiskey in one hand and a dame with legs up to here walking through your door.
-House of Mystery just keeps dishing out variety and style aplenty. Check it out if you want to know who is the best students in the School of Moore and Gaiman.

-Nate

No comments: