Friday, February 12, 2010

Holmes Smash!

I had something of a Jewish morning. I'm not Jewish (I'm not religious, to be honest). But I had a breakfast of bagels and watched A Serious Man, which may be one of the most Jewish movies that I have ever seen. It wasn't badly made or acted by any means, but I just did not connect to this movie. The whole movie felt like it was excluding me. A giant in-joke that almost went out of its' way to make sure that no goi (non-Jewish person) would be included in the movie, or in most of the punchlines.

My biggest problem with the movie was the seemingly unconnected opening and ending of the movie. They belong to two entirely different movies and I can't for the life of me see why they were in the movie. If that's the whole point (and I suspect that IS the point), that not everything is connected, than okay. Not funny or particularly insightful, but okay.

I later met up with Aaron and Justin to watch Sherlock Holmes at the Long Beach Town Center. We still had two or so hours before the movie started, so we went to eat at Chick-Fil-A and loiter at Barnes and Noble.

Topics of Conversation @ Chick-Fil-A: Unnecessary explanations, kickass dreams, angsty superhero movies with no action, Elvis's weird last days, X-Men manga, LA friends that need to plan ahead of time for OC friends, Krypton, spiteful movie employees, etc.

The movie was great! I really loved just about everything about it. The dialogue was sharp, the acting was sharp, and the writing was solid. I remember seeing the trailer, with all its fighting and action, and being really worried that it would be all "HOLMES SMASH!" instead of him being intelligent and witty. The action was well-done, but not the focus of the story. The focus was Holmes and Watson solving mysteries and saving Lond0n. Probably my favorite part of the whole movie was Holmes and Watson's friendship. It felt really natural, and it was an absolute a blast to watch them play off each other.

And thank god they went back to the original badass Dr. Watson, instead of the stupid, bumbling Watson that has been the only version we've had for forever.

To top off an awesome day, I watched the first three episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 2 with Amy, Aaron, and Justin. I've always remembered Season 2 being great, and so far have had my faith rewarded with truth. I love this show so damn much. Until the next Buffy night...

-Nate

No comments: