Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Give 'Em Soul, Schulz

February 22, 2010:

I had to light a fire under my behind cuz I was already starting late and would barely get to work on time. No time to waste time, folks! As I got to Lakewood, I had to grab all the stuff I would need, including the new handy dandy phantom powered audio equipment. I rushed over to the City of Commerce to shoot the latest Central Basin water whatchyacallit, and was quick to be reminded of the saying "Hurry Up and Wait."

Its strange to be in such a rush to get to a place, so that when I get there, I feel I'm in a rush to not be at that place.
After that barrel of fun, I was out and on my way to Norwalk. This week was looking to be the most hectic I've had in a long time. Monday was a double work day. As was Wednesday. (So would Tuesday, surprise!). And I came to realization that I'm working everyday this week except for Sunday. Feast or famine, and it looks like I'm going to be having seconds.

As I got out of Norwalk I got double information regarding what I'd be doing tonight.

a. Justin called me up and wanted to hang out and watch Give 'Em Hell Malone.

and...

b. Lainey informed me that karaoke was happening later that night.
I headed over to Justin's and we watched the movie he had rented:


Give 'Em Hell Malone is a Noir inspired movie starring Thomas Jane. Its a movie that barely gives an excuse for a badass anti-hero being badass. And you barely ask for one. But in the end, if you mull the story around in your head, you end up asking for that excuse. This is due to the fact that some of the motivations are a little muddy. Why does that dude do that, when the other dude does this? Malone is the kind of flick that if you think about it for more than a minute, than it could get ruined. But the opening is fun, and the movie never tried to say it was more than a gleeful romp o' babes, bullets, and badasses.

After the movie, I headed out, picked up Lainey, and headed to a night of:

The place we went to is a Steak House named Harvey's in Huntington Beach. (Yes, the irony that Lainey, a Vegan, wanted to go to a Steak House was not lost on me). The quick rundown is that Lainey goes to support a friend of hers that hosts a Karaoke night, at least when she can. But she doesn't want to be the only one, so she asked me to add my warble to the din. I agreed, because she asked. And also because I have discovered that I might have a karaoke addiction.
Its more of a recent discovery in the last 5 to 6 years. I never thought that I could get so feverish in my interest to butcher classic songs. But its hard to find places that don't suck, and that I don't need 20 people to come along with me. Its funny how in this week alone I went to two different karaoke bars. Though I ended up only singing in this particular joint. I didn't really sing many songs by myself, but I sang along to almost all of them.
Songs Sung @ Harvey's: [SOLO] "Mr. Blue Sky" by Electric Light Orchestra and "What's So Funny (About Peace, Love, and Understandin'?)" by Elvis Costello. [GROUP] "Buttercup" and "Friends in Low Places."
There were A LOT of other songs that were thrown around by other people, and Lainey sang a few (which I will leave a mystery, because I think she'd like you to guess) but eventually there was an impromptu dance segment. All I know is that I heard "Soul Bossa Nova" and I knew I couldn't just sit back and NOT relive all my ridiculous Austin Powers dancing fantasies. I dragged Lainey up and we busted a groove with a bunch of people I didn't know. I was trying my best to do Conan O'Brien's puppet dance, with a smattering of the Robot, and after "Twist & Shout", I had to sit down and try not become the first fatality from overdoing the testimonial.
All that wackiness and not a drop of alcohol to fuel it. I usually need at least one shotgunned beer to put out the energy I did. Luckily the place wasn't very packed, or I might have chickened out. Either way, at the end of the night, I had that high feeling I get when I sing too hard and am properly embarrassed. It was a good night. Who's available for some more karaoke?
-Nate

No comments: