Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Grandparent Terminology

So today is 1-11-11. My friend Lainey pointed out it won’t be as cool as November 11 (11-11-11), but I think its still pretty big. As to its particular significance other than being a bunch of ones, well I honestly haven’t thought that far, so hey a BUNCH OF ONES!

I woke up at a better hour, but only in comparison to the horrendous amount of time I’ve been sleeping in for the past few weeks. But I’m working on it, people, I’m working on it. Don’t give up on me yet.

I got some Christmas money from my grandma, whom I call “Nana.” Is this the case with most people? No, not the Christmas money, which is awesome, but having different titles for our grandparents? On my dad’s side, I called my grandparents “Oma” and “Opa.” On my mom’s side, I called my grandparents “Granddad” and “Nana.” I never called them “Grandma” or “Grandpa,” so for a while, when was really little, I honestly didn’t know what other kids were talking about when they mentioned “Grandma” and “Grandpa.”

“Are you talking about your Oma and Opa?” I asked my friend Adrian, one time on the playground. After he had mentioned, yet again, these shadowy “Grandpa” people giving him a bike for Christmas.
“What?” replied Adrian.
“Or Nana?” I continued.
“Who?” he said back.
“Your GRANDDAD?” I said, frustrated.
“Oh, my Grandma and Grandpa? Yeah. What do you call them?” he asked, perplexed.

That’s when I knew that I had been given different code names by which to refer to my grandparents. All the building blocks for individuality and miscommunication rolled up into one. Good times were had in Elementary.

So anyways, my Nana gave me some money for Christmas, which was great because I was super broke (much worse than regular broke). After going to the bank, I headed to Lainey’s to hang out and talk. I paid the toll in Del Taco fries and we caught up on her getting a Roller Derby concussion. She once asked me if I’d like to join the Roller Derby as like a referee or even join the men’s league, but since I don’t have medical insurance (Go Team America!), I would probably die from rink rash or something Roller Derby related. We mostly chatted till I had to head to work.

Before I went to work, I stopped off at Fresh and Easy to grab some supplies for work. This mostly consisted of water, chips, sorbet, and a few instant noodle bowls. Norwalk was fairly chill, and I mostly organized some of the archive of videos and tried to write.

After work, I hung out with Carissa and played Resident Evil 5, which I had only glanced at nearly a year before. The game is pretty good, and quite addictive. But the aiming system sucks, almost as bad as Grand Theft Auto back in the day. But the choice of guns is pretty awesome, and the team work needed just to stay alive helps keep you hopping. I look forward to playing it again!

Topics of Conversation: Black is slimming, side car cat, abstain, squishy steps, 201111111, precious moments eyes, swimming, Steroid Chris, might as well get a monkey, concussions for fun, a sad moment of no sleep, GOWLD!, etc.

-Nate

No comments: