Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Degree In Anything's-Better-Than-Nothing-ology

I may have not mentioned this, but I never graduated from College.

The reasons are varied and weak. Mostly endless excuses, and kind of thought out reasons of middling conviction.

This error in judgment has been going on for a while now. But I’ve decided I need to change my mind and academic standing. I need a degree. In what, I’m not sure (I guess not much has changed in the directionless aspect of my academia), but I plan to figure it out.

And the first step was going to involve getting a class in the Summer session at Cypress College.

I headed to campus to get the ball rolling properly. Before I could even sign up for classes, I needed to apply for admission to the school, since I was a returning student. After doing that I would have to wait for 24 hours before I could apply for classes. I signed up for FAFSA and the Board of Governor’s Grant to get a fee waiver. After accomplishing all this, I went and waited for a Counselor to see where I stood academically.

Not bad, it turned out.

I had knocked out a lot of General Education classes in my sporadic college attendance. In fact, I only had five or so classes left and I would be done with all my GE. This was quite uplifting. Especially considering I didn’t have a clue about how much I had left to go. My next step would be to decide on a Major and move forward from there. My end goal is now to transfer and graduate with a degree in Anything‘s-Better-Than-Nothing-ology.

After my academic plans were put into motion, I headed out to meet up with Katie, a friend I met at the Anaheim Comic Con, at Comics Unlimited. We talked about comics and discussed our mutual hunger for Roscoe’s Chicken & Waffles. Which made us finally go and get said food.

Roscoe’s was delicious, which was no surprise, but it was good to see that all my talking up of the restaurant to Katie didn’t leave her disappointed. We ate and talked and had an all around good time. We made a stop at Barnes & Noble so she could pick my brain about comics, since she had started getting interested in them thanks to Yours Truly.

I got home, updated my facebook, and went to sleep a little earlier than usual.

Topics of Conversation: General Ed, phoenix tattoo, greed, percussion, celebrity look-alikes, scars, Strawberry Festival costumes, thoughtful looks, music people, Ewoks, parent induced paranoia, choosing halves, days of future past, etc.

-Nate

No comments: