Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Long Walks on Beach

I woke up and decided to go for a walk. Not just a walk, but a LONG walk. From my home to as far down Beach boulevard as I could go. One of the stipulations was that I only had a few hours to do it in, and that I better not lose track of said time.

I listened to my iPod the entire walk, with a special listen to a recent episode of the RadioLab podcast that was all about tumors. What would normally be a very strange and depressing topic to have on my mind, was actually really interesting thanks to RadioLab.

They talked about three different stories about tumors and cancer. The first was about Ulysses S. Grant’s throat tumor. The second was about Tasmanian Devils. And the last was about Henrietta Lacks, the lady that was the source of the HeLa cells, that are one of the most important genetic discoveries/resources of the past 60 years. Great stories, all. I’d highly recommend that you give it a listen, to that one plus their archive of episodes.

After I got home and cleaned up from the long walk, I went to Norwalk. It was a little busier today, thanks to interviews that were being taped for a video presentation for TAPS, an organization that teaches teenagers about job building and how to have positive activities and interactions in their life. Yeah, I pretty much read that off the pamphlet. But the organization is actually pretty good, and the kids seem to enjoy their time with it.

I got home later than I thought I would, and went to sleep around 1:00 a.m.

Topics of Conversation @ Norwalk: Dummy bum, HeLa cells, sage advice, popcorn eating cat, age gap math, bad times come in Threes, trying to explain Doctor Who, girly like a predator, Memorial Day, etc.

-Nate

No comments: