Monday, April 19, 2010

Kick Assed Journal Entry #00

I was so tired from the last four days that I slept for over ten hours. The nice thing was that my muscles weren’t as sore as I thought they would be. I went to work at Norwalk as well. That is all. It’s a Monday, what did you want?
 


**********BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE!!!**********
 


I forgot to talk about seeing Kick Ass last Thursday (4-15-20)! I think that movie DEFINITELY deserves a mention and quickie review.

After the Pre-Show day at the Anaheim Comic Con, I headed down to Buena Park to catch Kick Ass with Justin, Victor, Cap’n Josh, Cole, Brooke, Brian, and others. It was a special 10:00 pm advance screening, and the theater got pretty packed. A special surprise was the Scott Pilgrim vs. The World trailer went up before the movie, which was great to see on the big screen.




I’ve read the entire run of comic books that are out are out for Kick Ass. I knew the ending, and I knew the big dramatic beats, and the big reveals. I figured that I knew what the movie would have, with some cinema twists, of course. So I thought I knew how the movie would go.

I was wrong.

There are three HUGE differences between the comic books and movie. I won’t say what, but they definitely threw me for a loop. And the ending is like nothing you would ever expect, even with a movie as out there as Kick Ass. Story wise, you really get to know the characters fairly well, though of course you get to know Kick Ass much more.

The best, most absorbing performance comes from Hit Girl, played by Chloe Grace Moretz. She has an amazing charisma about her, and her actions scenes are incredible. Somehow, some way, she is able to be both a little daddy’s girl that is sweet and innocent AND be one of the scariest people on the silver screen. She kills like she’s playing tag.

But don’t let it be said that she’s the only one doing a great job. Aaron Johnson as Kick Ass is both dumb and heroic, which I guess was the point all along. If he seems a little too pretty to be having the problems he’s having, he at least ACTS like he ain’t that pretty. And I have to admit, the moment he actually succeeds in helping someone, I actually felt it.

Nicolas Cage as Big Daddy is both scary and campy. He does a little Adam West impersonation that works way more than it should. And out of costume, he plays a really dorky, loving father. But you can tell it’s a father that is on the edge. That he’s just barely holding it together. Except when it concerns any interactions with his daughter, whom he shows absolutely nothing but love, even if that love has a few mental issues.

My only issue with the movie is a personal one. It concerns my feeling towards the fact that Hit Girl is killing people left and right. Now, I don’t hate or condemn the movie. At all. But I left the movie feeling uncomfortable. Just with the pure violent joy of Hit Girl. Yes, the point of the movie was that these costumed heroes would have to be crazy to do what they do. They address that fine. But it didn’t always sit well with me. I can’t exactly explain it. Maybe I’m just not crazy about the idea that a kid can’t just be a kid and has to be a monster instead.

For those of you who loved the movie with no problems, then don’t worry. I didn’t hate it. I’m just torn by the movie. I can’t bring myself to love it. I’m of two minds. Let that mean whatever it means.

-Nate

No comments: